There’s nothing like a bowl of chili to warm you from the inside out. This paleo chili recipe is delicious and a great dinner to make during the cold winter months in Central NY.
Serves 4-6. Prep 15 mins. Cook time is 40 mins. stove top or 3-4 hours slow cook crockpot.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound spicy ground pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: sour cream, olives, avocado
Melt coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, red bell pepper until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir garlic into onion mixture and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir beef and sausage into onion mixture. Cook and stir until meat is browned and crumbly, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa powder, and Worcestershire sauce into the meat mixture; add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors are blended, 10 minutes.
Serve in bowls with a spoonful of sour cream on top, olives, and/or diced avocado.