“The Spiedie is a New York original, created in Binghamton. Spiedie meat is grilled on wooden skewers then served, skewer and all, on a plate with a side dish of your choice.
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
COOK TIME: 20 Minutes
READY IN: 8 Hours 30 Minutes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 2 pounds cubed beef
1. In a large resealable bag, combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, onion powder, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Place the beef cubes into the marinade, seal and shake to mix and coat the beef. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or for up to 3 days.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat. Thread the beef cubes onto 8 skewers, dividing evenly. Discard the marinade.
3. Cook the meat on the grill for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked to your liking (you can make a test skewer if you want).
To serve, place a whole skewer of beef on a plate, on a bed of lettuce, or serve with a side salad or your preferred vegetable.